The city of Tobolsk, the capital of Western Siberia, and of the government of its own name (and, indeed, of the whole of northern Asia), is situated on the Irtysch, close to its junction with the Tobol. The town proper is built principally on the flat summit of a hill commanding an extensive view, and is surrounded by a strong brick wall with square towers and bastions. When approached from the west it has a remarkably fine appearance, and it really contains some good and solid buildings — most of the government-offices, and the residences of the Russian and German settlers, being within the walls. Along the banks of the river are suburbs, enclosed by a ditch and palisade, and inhabited mostly by Tartars. The streets, which cross each other at right angles, are generally paved with wood. Among its public edifices, the most remarkable are, the cathedral, in the Byzantine style of architecture, with five cupolas, the archbishop's and governor's palaces, a monastery, and a large hospital. It has about twenty churches, chiefly of wood, as are most of the houses.
see more - Siberia, or Asiatic Russia
Sears, Robert. An Illustrated Description of the Russian Empire. New York: Robert Sears, 1855