Kronstadt, properly the port of St. Petersburg, and the principal station of the Russian navy in the Baltic, is situated on the long, flat, and arid island of Kotlin, near the eastern extremity of the gulf of Finland, and about twenty miles from St. Petersburg. The town is built in the form of an irregular triangle, on the southeastern extremity of the isle, opposite the mouth of the Neva, and is strongly fortified on all sides. On the south side of Kotlin is the narrow channel, through which only one vessel can pass at a time, from the gulf to the capital, and scores of guns could here be brought to bear on an enemy., by means of a fortress erected on a detached islet; or, if arriving on the opposite side, by the batteries of Riesbank, and the citadel of Kronslot.
see more - The Baltic Provinces
Sears, Robert. An Illustrated Description of the Russian Empire. New York: Robert Sears, 1855